Thursday, August 16, 2012

6 years ago

Cameron A Mageski
My friends son...forever an angel

6 Years ago(as of Friday the 17th) we said goodbye to Cameron.
Cameron was 13, full of life , love and adventure for everything.

6 years ago, Cameron got sick. Cameron had diabetes. He was sick, which is not unusual for any child. However, when he got sick, we all watched a little more carefully. But he seemed to be over it and doing better so we all breathed a sigh of relief. We went back to our daily routines. I was at work one day at the nursing home during breakfast, said "come quick, look at Cam, something is wrong with him" I stopped what I was doing, and rushed to the front door where she had her kids in the van. Cam was a greyish color and something wasn't right. I told his mom Sue, to take him to the ER, and let me know what was going on.He was taken to a local hospital and from there transferred to Childrens Hospital in Milwaukee. He was admitted for dehydration, from where he took a turn for the worst and ended up in ICU. He ended up having some type of seizure and had a breathing tube put in. Turns out during that time, he had alot of pressure in the brain, and suffered a stroke of the brain stem. He had little to no brain activity left.He was also found to have diabetic ketoacidosis. I learned at that time, that cerebral edema happens to kids with diabetes due to ketoacidosis and many physicans have a hard time putting the pieces together to catch this fast enough.
Cameron was given many scans of his brain during this time, to see what progress he had or hadn't made. He was still having alot of increased pressure and had been given surgical intervention to release that pressure . But it wasn't staying controlled. He wasn't really having any "purposeful" movements on his own.

He continued on life support and many medications to try to maintain a quality of life.
His family and friends remained by his side, people poured in by the dozens to visit him and wish him and his family many wishes.
After many tests and trials, Camerons family decided it would be best to take him off life support. He wasn't showing any signs of improvement and his body was starting to shut down. He was on alot of IV meds but theres only so much you can do.
They shut the machines off, shut everything off.... and Cameron went to heaven to be with Jesus.

The picture above is one of the last fishing trips we took before Cam left us. My oldest was two.

We miss you Cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment