Wednesday, September 12, 2012

They say it takes a village to raise a child

The old quote says "it takes a village to raise a child" right?

What happens to the quote when you have more than one child? Are you supposed to divide up your children into different villages? Are you only supposed to have one child depending on how many people are in your village?

I have three kids. However, we all know it starts at just one. I did the single mom thing for a while, and during this period I worked two jobs. Had it not been for my small "village" of people around me, nothing would have been possible. My mom and dad watched my son for me while I worked second shift until bedtime, then my grandmother watched him at my place, bathed him and rocked him and played with him and put him to bed. They supported me emotionally as well.
When I got married and had two more kids, I had my husbands help, my parents help, the inlaws help and other friends around us. Our "village" slowly expanded.
When my first child went to school, again the people I considered passage into our "village" expanded again....his teachers, the teachers aides, the people who worked at the school, from top to bottom....all became part of our village.
When my second one now started in school, again our village once again expanded to HER teachers and people who work at the school from top to bottom.

You can't have a village without considering everyone having a special part, no matter how big or small. You have to remember people like bus drivers and school secretaries because each of these people play a part in your childs life.

There had been a discussion lately in the papers about "what now I have to thank even people like bus drivers and janitors for my education?" and I answered "yes, yes you do". Why you ask? Without that bus driver, would you have gotten to school safely and on time every day? without that janitor, would you have a clean environment to better your learning? Without people like teachers, no matter what the subject, would your education have gotten along without them? How about the people who make school lunches? Without them, some kids wouldn't have anything to eat, and the studies show kids who eat better, do better in school. So yes you even have to thank the lunch ladies.
Who else is a part of my village that I'm thankful for? Doctors, without them, I'd be without guidance when my children are sick(or injuried as they seem to be pretty clutzy), Dentist, without them, everyone in my family would have bad teeth, the people who work at retail places that I interact with, like the bank, the grocery store, the gas station, the pharmacy, etc. Without these people, business would cease to run and we'd have to find other means to find groceries and people to keep our money in a safe spot and we'd probably have to go back to growing mold to procure penicillian , grow our own food, shoot our own animals for supper. I"m not sure about you, but I'm pretty domestically challanged the way it is, even though my mother surely tried to teach me these skills, but I don't want to hunt my own food.  And I"m thankful for police officers and fire fighters and ambulance workers, because they keep us in check by making sure we're doing whats right by the law, come to our houses to put out fires at all hours of the day or night and sometimes even miss family things at a moments notice and ambulance people help us also in emergencies, big and small, again at all hours of day and night. I'm thankful for the people like pastors and other men of faith who guide each and every one of us in our own spirtual journey, no matter what it is you believe.
See where I"m going with this? You have to sit back and consider how each person affects you in your daily life and in your childrens daily lives. And believe it or not, alot of people don't often enough get something as small and simple as a "thank you" and "great job".
what people are you thankful for? who are the people in your village that perhaps you haven't thought of in a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment